Tuesday 21 December 2010

Fliegen müsste man können

You had to be able able to fly


A Weihnachtsmann (Santa Claus) cartoon has just come on TV with this title. Once in every 100 years Santa throws a big party for the elves, other helpers in his workshop and other friends including Jack Frost and St Lucia (complete with candle-crown). And this is one of those years. It has only just started so I am not sure who had to be able to fly yet.

Well, apart from me. I have been checking the Lufthansa and Frankfurt Airport websites in a compulsive fashion since Saturday. Yesterday the flights to Manchester were badly affected, today all but the earliest were cancelled. I am taking the early flight tomorrow. Heavy rain is forecast. That's better than snow. So I am hoping for the best, crossing my fingers and pressing my thumbs.

My other flatmates however did not have smooth journeys home. After a scheduled departure to Heathrow on Saturday, one has finally arrived in Birmingham after three days of cancellations and waiting lists. My other flatmate is on a somewhat later than planned scheduled flight to Helsinki.

I am feeling slightly seasick. I think this is due to a combination of stress and the rocking of our office today. Two buildings away another office block is being torn down and every so often the office would suddenly rock or sway or judder. I was prepared at any  moment to thrown myself under a desk should I see a crack appear in any supporting walls. In a hospital or a news report about the collapse of a Westend office block would not have been my ideal start to the holidays.

An ideal start to the holidays would be a flight home tomorrow...I hope the Weihnachtsmann is right!

No comments:

Post a Comment